The art of #hashtags |as a lifestyle blog|

Hey guys, gals, and everyone else!

Being a lifestyle blog can be weird. Bloggers constantly tell you “you have to have a niche!” or “Post about whatever you heart tells you too!”. Then add in social media and it seems like your streams are all over the place. For the record I’m pro-blog all the topics, and you can find out why here. Every social media outlet is different, but Instagram is probably the most lifestyle-blogger friendly. You can capture this potential pretty easily with these tips!

The_art_of_hashtags

Bloggers Love Bloggers

If you’re reading this…you’re probably a blogger, and that’s great! Bloggers are always face down into some electronic device checking our stats and returning comments to people. This makes using #blogger a great way to A. Get more likes and B. Get more friends. Because what more could a lifestyle blogger ask for right?!  ProTip- Use one of your niches for each post! When I post a fitness related post you can be your cute little butt that I’m #fitnessblogger, even though I’m not exclusively one. Instagram is kind of like a college board…they love you for your main thing, but they want you to be well rounded as well. So #lifestyleblogger #puppyblogger #momblogger to your hearts content!

The_art_of_hashtags_staywithmeonthis

Use the Popular #

This kind of ties into the point above, but it can definitely make a difference in your social media engagement. Say you’re posting a picture of…..a flower, and you’re a outdoor blog. Sure you’ll get your regular crowd by #flower #outdoorblog #adventures, but what you really want to do is expand on your viewers. So a #flowerchild #magenta #helovesmenot may seem silly…but you’ll catch people who have never heard of you before! Then boom! They check out your feed, see some killer content and read a post or two! It’s a wonderful world I tell ya’

Pic your post times accordingly (see what I did there?)

Our friends at the huffington post gave us a couple times that rule in Instagram land. Spoiler…it’s 2AM and 5PM EST, but you can read the entire schpeal here. The point is..you check your feed at certain parts of the day right? Well so does everyone else. And if you’re posting to popular hashtags (which we determined together you should be!) Your beautiful picture may be lost in the swarm. So while there aren’t very many Instagram scheduling sites available, try and plan your posts!

If you use a site to schedule your Instagram posts leave it down below! Bloggers got to stick together yo’

Make friends…not just likes.

The point of hashtags is to find people who post things you like. So if you find a killer feed, with a killer person behind it…you should make friends! I’m not saying like every. single. picture. But you can show that you like their content! Striking up a friendship naturally is awesome, and who knows-maybe you can learn from eachother! The great part about being a lifestyle blog is that you have lots of facets…which means you can have all the friends!

The_art_of_hashtags_Kat_von_d_beauty

Keep a method in your madness (AKA a visual theme)

I need help with this…like a lot. Now lifestyle blogs are going to blog about 2-100 topics,so there has to be some unification for social media. Now my Pinterest account is pretty streamline, but my Instagram is a wreck. (Just being honest) HOWEVER I have read some pretty interesting ideas. 1. Keep a style for your pictures. Do you like super white filters? Awesome, put that shit on everything. 2. Do you like to post vertical pics instead of the standard squares? More power to you! 3. Do you like to have lengthy captions that tell a story? You got writer! My point is…if you have one thing in common for all your posts, it will help it all feel like it belongs together. I suggest checking out Kat Von D’s beauty instagram, because her approach to color on Instagram is A++

Have any lifestyle blogger tips? Leave them down below!

Stay Sunny ❤

Advertisements

35 thoughts on “The art of #hashtags |as a lifestyle blog|

1. Alli Rutherford Smith

These are great tips! I always use the hashtag ontheblogtoday when I’m sharing a pic from a post, but I’ve never thought to use #foodblogger #partyblogger, etc. I’ll be sure and remember that tip. Thanks!!

2. Nellie

these are awesome tips!! 2am though?! whoa!! I definitely use a lot of hashtags and have been found by some really great people. But be careful, some insta hashtags can be dangerous! 🙂

3. littlemisscant

I haven to admit, I don’t use hashags all that often and when I do I probably don’t use them properly either. I hate seeing posts that start with hash tags. Call me old fashioned but it can confuse the daylights out of me… we don’t speak like that in real life why would we do so online?

4. ratishagoyal

I generally face the dilemma when asked about my niche. I pour my heart out in my writings. It can be a story or a poem or a cathartic release in an article! I’m newbie in the world of blogging and honestly all these technicalities make me loose charm in writing. But I do try to get my stuff more readers. Your tips will prove handy.

5. Heather

That’s great on the hashtag use. I always thought a more general hashtag was better because it grouped more people into that category, but I see your point here in being specific.

6. Hannah

These are really good tips, I actually posted last month about how my Instagram interactions had grown by 300% by using hashtags. I used to never use hashtags, but I see it really helps. I consistently get triple digit likes and double digit comments now. 🙂 Lovely post, I’ll be saving for future reference.

Hannah, thecatsandcoffee.com

7. Mindy@FarmFitLiving

Wonderful tips! I can truly relate as I am a Rural Lifestyle blogger. I follow all the probloggers who say, “It’s better to be in a niche.” While I do consider myself a homesteading blogger, I’m in their network and follow many of their blogs. But, I write about rural life…so rural leadership, rural families, rural travel as well as homesteading and living off the land. I really really love your instagram tips because I need to invest more time into it. You gave some great tips for hashtags. I have learned that you need about 10-11 hash tags in every Instagram post. This can be difficult sometimes, but the popular hashtags help so much. It’s a work in progress. 🙂

8. Megan Elford

These are great tips for someone like me. I’m on Instagram, but I don’t spend the majority of my time there and as a result, I’m still struggling to find what works. Thanks for this, I’ll be referring to it in the future!

9. Danielle Greco

I love discovering new #’s and scrolling through all the photos. I am loving #thatsdarling and #pursuepretty right now. Some beautiful blogger type pics in there. Nice post
    Danielle | AccordingtoD.com

10. uprunforlife

I use hash tags to help point my posts in the right direction. I have a “lifestyle” blog too. I try to keep it to a few topics. I’ve shared a few parenting things but they have tied to a healthy lifestyle. If kids aren’t taught, then they will end up like me “struggling with my weight” throughout my adult life. Plus, unhappy kids = unhappy parents. 🙂

11. chrystievachon

I totally agree with the making friends not likes advice! It’s important to actually connect with your followers in order to develop a meaningful relationship!

12. Jeanine

I don’t usually use hashtags anymore on instagram, that is a huge problem but I always forget. I need to work on this for sure!

13. confettiandbliss

These are fantastic tips! For my lifestyle blog I’m really struggling trying to find a style of photo posting that will be unique to my brand. It’s tough! Every single niche is different. My husband and I run a Mexico travel site and we’ve experienced awesome success with it – we’re killing the game with beachy tropical photos. But it’s the IG for my lifestyle blog that’s all over the map and needs some serious attention.

1. Mar Post author

I feel the same way! It’s hard to have a similar style with so many topics! I try and keep pictures of ‘things’ (like products) on the same background. My apartment complex has nice grass so I use that! It adds a fun texture.

14. jenny

These are great hashtags for a lifestyle blog! I love finding new hashtags on Instagram, it’s fun to see the different pictures that come up!

15. Peachy A.

Thanks for the tips. I always hashtag my heart away to gain more friends…Thinking for a popular hashtag is a bit hard, though.

16. Anosa

I use Instagram like crazy these days since I discovered the world of solo travels and hashtags on Instagram but I agree with all these points you’ve shared